Thursday, July 12, 2007

The most egregious example of icon exploitation in an ad I've ever seen.

(click ad to read copy)
Freedom Honor Integrity. The Freedom to use one of the most revered photos in US history to sell trips on a luxury jet. The Honor to use six WWII soldiers—three of whom were later killed in the battle of Iwo Jima—to hoist your sales. The Integrity to...oh fuck it. I am not a patriotic man. I do not "love" my country. I love my parents and my girlfriend. And American icon exploitation is nothing new. But this is just tasteless.
Ad scanned from—where else?—"luxury" magazine Hamptons, one of the bullshit Niche Media titles that nobody reads except for the people photographed in them, published by scam artist Jason Binn, Prick.
UPDATE: an anon commenter emailed the company about the ad. This was their (apparently the CEO's) response:
"The ad in question is a July 4th holiday one. (It was not a "holiday" issue of the magazine)
What LAJ has to do with the celebration of freedom, is what every American should be honoring on that day.
To reflect upon the sacrifices made from all previous generations which have provided our republic to survive and thrive. This grants my company and its employees the freedom from want, fear, and opportunity to build a company on integrity.
Reread the narrative."
What a load of horseshit.
previously in worst ads ever:
1. My early frontrunner for Worst Ad of 2007.
2. So feel free to wear your tightest shorts, ladies.
3. Right Gwynnie. And I'm Martian.
4. "Middle manager" sends 10,000 horrified concert-goers scrambling for exits.
5. The Good Hands, Bad Taste People.
6. CLEARLY defining your target audience.
and the worst ever:
7. WTC asbestos ad.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is nothing sacred? Apparently not.

9:31 AM  
Blogger RFB said...

So not sacred that they felt free to reverse the image, lest that pesky American flag have first view over their clever and well-thought-out "Freedom Homor Integrity" line.

Cocklicks.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent them an email to explain my disgust. Here is their response:

The ad in question is a July 4th holiday one.

What LAJ has to do with the celebration of freedom, is what every American should be honoring on that day.

To reflect upon the sacrifices made from all previous generations which have provided our republic to survive and thrive. This

grants my company and its employees the freedom from want, fear, and opportunity to build a company on integrity.

Reread the narrative.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoever said the rich weren't classy.

Oh, right, that was me.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason I saving my first use of the C-word here for something special.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also a write and advertising thus having little morals. However, this ad is even tasteless to me. Something tells me that the "Patriotic Americans" wont find this offensive because they are stupid.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in response to the CEO's non-response: how about a july 4th ad with warm, fuzzy bull shit copy to "reflect upon the sacrifices made," minus your self-serving logo. that would have been honorable. oh, right. who am i kidding? this wouldn't grant his company the appropriate pat on the back for the day. my bad.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous #2: You uncool, ungrateful foreigner. Wherever you're from, and I suspect France or Central America, I would like you to come to Texas where I can meet you face to face and show you a true stupid American.

I will give you a fistful of morals.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Kevin Erb said...

Is that really Terrible Ted with some authentic TT verbal diarrhea up above? That's awesome if it is.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Tommy from Damned Yankees - fuck you Ted. Freedom of speech you Talibangelist motherfucker!

Ah fuckit, it's advertising. Let's go bowl.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

“...a fistful of morals”

That quote alone makes up for how fucked-up the ad is. Almost.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"a fistful of morals"

...the american way

you couldn't write this shit!

2:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Everything, including mind-numbing bad taste can be explained a way. Ewww.

5:54 AM  
Blogger RFB said...

Sure, Nugent trolls the ad blogs looking for foreigners to threaten. And I hear Air Suply comes here, too.

Fine. I'll come clean:

insconsiderate asshole™
professor obvious
JFK's pink mist

among others

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home